Ford Recalled the 2013 Escape for the Second Time


The 2013 Ford Escape has recently encountered another recall issue and this is considered as its second. Ford has issued the first recall order last July and this was caused by a different problem that was found on the latest version of the Escape.

Based on the information that was revealed previously, Ford has found out that the redesigned version of the Escape is at risk of an engine compartment fire that might be caused by a component that was not properly installed on the vehicle.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or popularly known as the NHTSA has also affirmed Ford’s claim. In fact, the agency has directly stated that the source of the risk was traced on the “cylinder head cup plug” or the “freeze plug” that was used on the redesigned version of the Escape and this might get dislodged due to the continuous use of the vehicle. In the event that the freeze cup gets dislodged, there is a great possibility that the vehicle might lose all its engine coolant and this could be dangerous.

The NHTSA has also revealed that the leaking coolant might cause the vehicle to catch fire since the glycol might ignite as the coolant evaporates on the vehicle’s hot engine. The car maker was actually not aware of the said problem at first. This was recently found out when one of the affected vehicles caught fire during the pre-delivery process in Tennessee. In addition to this, another vehicle that was on the custody of the company’s assembly plant caught fire. These events triggered a number of investigations that eventually led to the discovery of the source of the problem.

Although Ford has not yet received any accident report or injuries caused by the said problem, the company has provided an advice urging the owners of the 2013 Ford Escape that are included on the recall to as much as possible refrain from driving their vehicles.

Aside from providing the information about the main cause of the recall, Ford has also stated that the recall order will cover about 6,146 units of the 2013 Ford Escape particularly those that were produced in the company’s assembly plant located in Louisville, Kentucky from October 5, 2011 to August 31, 2012. The car maker has also stressed out that the recall will only be limited to the 2013 Ford Escapes that are powered by the 1.6-liter engines.

 

 

 

About Marty Bay

Marty Bay is the Lead Writer and Editor for VPM Automotive. He has researched and reviewed 100s of cars, and writes extensively about car technologies.
This entry was posted in Escape, Ford. Bookmark the permalink.